12 Relaxing Holiday Gift Ideas for the Family Caregiver in Your Life
Those who care for an elderly or disabled relative are busy, stressed and often isolated. They do their job with love and care, often getting little or no thanks in return.
This holiday season, consider giving the caregiver in your family the gift of relaxation. Offering a chance to rest and recharge is important to their health and well-being…and their ability to continue caring for a loved one.
Here are some gift ideas for the family caregiver in your life.
- Acknowledgement and thanks. Write a recurring note of thanks, such as an encouraging card or regular gift cards for services they enjoys. Or take them out to coffee once a month so he or she can reconnect with the outside world.
- A journal. Give a nice journal to write down their thoughts or record the things they see and hear each day. This will provide an opportunity for them to get their feelings on paper and create a memory book for later.
- Adult coloring books and colored pencils. Coloring is a mindless form of meditation, and for someone who has to do a lot of waiting — in doctor’s offices and the like — it can be a nice way to calm the mind. Psychologists say it reduces stress as it brings us back to our childhood.
- A spa visit. A gift certificate to a spa for a mani-pedi, massage, or facial is an excellent way to reward (often thankless) efforts. Most caregivers don’t spend a lot of time focusing on their own needs, so this will help them get some quality self-care.
- Take care of chores. Spend a day cleaning or preparing meals for the caregiver so they can easily feed their own family. Or hire a cleaning service to get their house sparkling.
- Tickets to a show. Give a night out to the theater, sporting event, ballet, or opera. Don’t forget to provide backup help so they can get away without guilt.
- A subscription. A subscription to a magazine, audiobook service, or video streaming service is an excellent gift that keeps on giving.
- A good laugh. Give a gift that makes them chuckle, like onesie pajamas, a blanket with arms, a funny decorative pillow, superhero coffee mug, or one-legged pirate socks. These items can also provide warmth and comfort, so it’s a two-for-one gift.
- Meal delivery. Meal delivery services provide all the ingredients for a gourmet meal along with instructions on how to cook and prepare a proper plate.
- Something homemade. A scarf or throw blanket made by hand is a special gift you can give a person you love. It shows that you were thinking of them while making something useful.
- Home-baked treats. Cupcakes, muffins, cookies and candy are always a hit at the holidays and easy to give. They will enjoy the sweet treats and think of you with each bite.
- A houseplant. Studies have shown that greenery has a calming effect and having a nice plant to care for is always fun, particularly for a nurturer.
No matter what gift you give, remind them that you appreciate all of their efforts and that you notice their many selfless sacrifices. Giving them a chance to vent frustrations and anxieties (and maybe have a little laugh along the way) goes a long way toward their overall health and well-being.
If you’re a family caregiver or know someone that is and would you like to learn more about Senior Providers Network Family Caregiver Plan? Click below. It’s available to the public…
Beverly Nelson is the creator of Stand Up For Caregivers, which aims to help protect and advocate for the health and wellbeing of adult caregivers.
 – https://thecaregiverspace.org/15-favorite-gifts-caregivers/
 – https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/coloring-for-stress_n_5975832.html
 – https://www.washingtonpost.com/gift-ideas-for-caregivers/2011/12/14/gIQAmhYM1O_story.html?utm_term=.a6a382549c57
 – https://www.agingcare.com/articles/holiday-gift-guide-ideas-for-caregivers-105846.htm
 – https://www.senioradvisor.com/blog/2014/12/15-holiday-gift-ideas-for-caregivers/
 – https://www.redfin.com/blog/2015/12/perfect-gifts-for-the-homebody-on-your-list.html
- November is National Family Caregiver Month
- Veteran’s Day Military Discounts 2019
- How Caring for Aging Parents Can Damage Family Relationships
- Senior Discounts in Texas
- 2019 List of Senior Discounts Available in New York
- How can your Life Insurance help you live independently?
- Sign up for Medicare Part A
- How are Other Countries Caring for Their Elderly Population?
- Medicare Basics
- Financial Burdens Family Caregivers Face
Posts by Topic
- Benefits Broker (1)
- Caregiving (13)
- EAP (8)
- Employee Absenteeism (2)
- Employee Benefits (15)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (5)
- Family Caregiver (26)
- Family Medical Leave Act (2)
- FMLA (6)
- home care (2)
- Medicare (2)
- Retirement (2)
- Sandwich Generation (8)
- Uncategorized (1)
- VA Aid and Attendance Benefits (2)